Levels and Trends of Inequality
Previous analyses have reached contradictory conclusions regarding the levels and trends in inequality. Besides, there is little known about the distribution of wealth, education, healthcare and land in the LAC region, across and within countries, and its determinants.
The first theme concerns examining the facts about levels and trends of inequality, seeking to reconcile previous analyses. We will take a stand on how to interpret conflicting narratives obtained from administrative data, household surveys and national accounts. We will analyse inequality beyond income in a variety of dimensions including wealth, health and education. We will consider inequality of treatment which may lead to inequalities of respect and agency. Constant attention will be paid to horizontal differences by gender, race and ethnicity.
- What can we say with confidence about the levels and trends of income inequality in Latin America?
- What do we not know about wealth inequality in Latin America?
- How inequality of education looks along several dimensions (including gender, age, and socioeconomic status of parents) in Latin America? How has it changed over time?
- How is inequality in health care use related to features of health systems in Latin America?
- How do health outcomes and risk factors along the life cycle differ between groups with different educational attainment?
- Is the land distribution in Latin America related to rural income?